OHIO TRUST LAW
The Law Library Staff prepares "Research Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQs) for the convenience of our users to provide access to a variety of sources addressing particular points of law. These are general legal information sources, and are not to be construed as a substitute for personal legal advice from an attorney. Please seek legal counsel to help you determine the applicability of any of the information in these resources to your specific situation. The Law Library makes no recommendation as to whether you should purchase any services offered by the websites contained in this FAQ.
Ohio Trust Code (Effective 01/01/07)
- The New law: HB 416 adopted the Ohio Trust Code and amended the Ohio Uniform Prudent Investor Act
- The New Statutes: The Ohio Trust Code will be part of a brand new title of the Ohio Revised Code–Title 58
- Summary of the New Law: The Legislative Service Commission’s Final Bill Analysis can be found at LSC Final Analysis
- According to the Legislative Service Commission, the new law will:
- Regulate the creation, administration, modification, and termination of trusts and the powers and duties of settlors, trustees, beneficiaries, and the courts;
- Provide for private settlement agreements among beneficiaries; and
- Move various sections of the Ohio Revised Code, including the Uniform Principal and Income Act, the Institutional Trust Funds Act, and the Ohio Transfers to Minors Act, into Revised Code Chapters 5812, 5813, 5814, and 5815.
- Uniform Trust Code: To see the Uniform Trust Code, on which the Ohio Trust Code is based: UTC Online
- Banker’s League Report on the Ohio Trust Code: Banker's Report Online
- Articles on the new Ohio Trust Code:
- Brucken, Robert M., The New Ohio Trust Code and Probate Avoidance, 78 (No. 2) CLEVELAND BAR JOURNAL (DEC. 2006)
- Hindel, Joanne F., The Evolution of Ohio Trust Law, CLEVELAND BAR JOURNAL, June 2006
- Newman, Alan., Ohio Adopts New Trust Code, OHIO LAWYER, Sept/Oct 2006, page 9.
- There are many articles on the new Ohio Trust Code in the PROBATE LAW JOURNAL OF OHIO. A copy of these articles is contained in "Merrick-Rippner Probate Laws & Rules Annotated, The Ohio Trust Code Supplement", 2006, published by Thomson West. This book also contains the text of the act and the new Ohio Revised Code sections.
- Changes in Ohio Law by Adoption of Uniform Trust Code, December 2002 OSBA CLE program on the UTC
- Newman, Alan, Ohio Adopts new trust code, 20 (No. 5) OHIO LAWYER, Sept./Oct. 2006
- Ohio trust code. Ohio State Bar Association CLE Institute, 2006.: Includes forms. KFO137.O66 2006.
- Ohio trust code. Brucken, Robert M.; Hindel, Joanne. Ohio State Bar 2007.
- Ohio trust code revisited: practical applications improving the OTC. KFO137 .O67 Ohio State Bar Association CLE Institute, 2007.
- Special Needs Trusts Handbook. KFO137.S63, Ohio State Bar Association CLE Institute, 2007
1 West Lakeside Avenue, FL4 Cleveland, Ohio 44113-1078 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (216) 861-5070 Fax: (216) 861-1606
September 12, 2006 -